Virtual (future in-person availability TBD)
Primary Areas of Clinical Interest & Expertise:
· Gender & Sexuality
· Substance Use (harm reduction, abstinence, and the in-between)
· Trauma (single event, historical, recurrent/complex)
· Brain Injury
Ari Laoch (R-ee Lay-Awk), he/they is a Virginia Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) and supervisor, a National Certified Counselor (NCC), a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC), and a Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainer (CBIST), as well as the Executive Director of the Virginia Council on Problem Gambling. He is a member of the LGBTQIA+ community and a graduate of the Virginia Commonwealth University Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling program and is currently pursuing a Ph.D. at VCU.
Ari’s counseling work is empowerment-based working through, with, and around trauma, be that systemic/historical, chronic, and/or single event-based. He works well with folx who may meet the criteria for personality disorders, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and those navigating identity development. They approach counseling with an awareness of intersectional identities and an anti-oppression lens to move toward liberation and authenticity. For folx working with Ari, the counseling process may include bearing witness to personal narrative, genuine connection, and collaboration alongside laughter and sometimes a pinch of cussing.
Ari has had the privilege to work with many folx. They have considerable experience working with:
- LGBTQIA+ and SGL community members.
- Persons seeking Gender Confirming Surgery letters.
- Persons who want to discuss their substance use or addiction and harm reduction or sobriety.
- Adults seeking a polyamorous knowledgeable provider.
- Survivors and loved ones coping with post-brain injury events.
- Folx working on identity development.
- Persons living with HIV/AIDS.
- People navigating DID or multiple self.
- Adults seeking a kink-knowledgeable professional.
- Chronic or new medical diagnosis.
In their free time, Ari digs reading too many books, growing giant sunflowers, checking out local events, and creative endeavors. For now, he is doing lots and lots of homework.
Virginia Commonwealth University: PhD Candidate; MS
Licenses & Certifications:
Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)- Virginia
National Certified Counselor (NCC)
Certified Rehabilitation Counselor (CRC)- Virginia
Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainer (CBIST)
While Ari is contracted with the following insurance payers, we recommend contacting your insurance company to determine if your plan has any restrictions or limitations:
- Anthem (Commercial and Medicaid)
- Aetna (Commercial)
- Molina Complete Care of Virginia Medicaid
- Optima Medicaid Only (awaiting commercial credentialing)
- Optum/ UnitedHealthcare Medicaid Only (awaiting commercial credentialing)